The Trouble With Lily pt 7


Lily listened to Scott speak. She thought about his words. “I’m not mad about finding my husband cheating on me.” She quickly moved on as Scott started to speak, “you see, I’ve known for a while it was over between Lucien and I.” She looked at her bag with the manila envelope spilled on the floor, “I was going home to serve him with divorce papers, I was going to give him half of everything, just to make him go away. I was hurt, yes, because I think I knew what he’d been doing but I had no proof until I was confronted with it this evening, after chasing Marble down an alley. He was in the car I bought him with a young, half-naked woman, where anyone could have walked upon them. I was humiliated. I threw a rock at his head, but it only hit the windshield, and I got some good pictures of him cheating on me. I sent them to my lawyer tonight and told him to rewrite the divorce papers, giving him nothing due to the evidence I had found.” Lily sighed sadly.
Scott was shocked. No wonder she had looked lost and wounded when she came upon him and Rascal. He’s glad he offered to let her come in out of the storm. “So, what are you going to do next?”
Lily stared into the fire as she responded, “I’m going to move on. I’m going to give Marble there a good home, and I’m going to raise my baby without their father.”
“Baby?”
Lily looked over and saw the shock on Scott’s face. “Did I forget to mention that I found out this morning I was pregnant? I was going to cancel the divorce when I got the news, but when I tried to make plans with Lucien to share the great news, he said he had to work late, and ‘couldn’t we do this another time?’ That’s when I resolved to continue with the divorce. He couldn’t, no scratch that, he didn’t want to be there for me, there was no way he was going to be there for our child.”
Scott contemplated her words. She seemed like a strong woman, more than capable of raising a child on her own. He admired her. “So, again, what’s your next move?”
Lily pondered Scott’s question. What would she do? She knew she wasn’t staying with Lucien now, but how was she going to work and raise a baby? She supposed she could ask her parents for help, they would be excited to have a grandchild, wouldn’t they? “I honestly don’t know,” she finally admitted. “I never thought that I would have to raise a child alone, and I never thought I would be getting a divorce. But here I am, doing both at the same time.”

Comments

Popular Posts