The Trouble With Lily: The End


Scott was standing over the bassinet, watching the beautiful baby girl sleeping tucked up warm in a soft baby blanket. She was as beautiful as her mother, pale skin and beautiful curly red hair. He looked over at Lily, still sleeping from the medication they gave her during the c-section. I almost lost her, Scott thought, then where would I be? He pulled the ring out of his pocket, determined to ask her today. He looked at the baby in her bed, “Hope it’s okay with you kiddo, that I ask your mom to marry me. Do you think she’ll say yes?” As he finished asking his question, the baby girl smiled in her sleep. “I’ll take that as a yes then,” Scott said, and he smiled at Lily’s daughter, hopefully soon to be his.
“You’ll take what as a yes, Scott?” Lily asked, groggily, as she finally came to. Startled, Scott looked back at her, even now she looked beautiful. He went to her bed and brushed her hair off of her face.
“I asked the kiddo over there for permission to ask you a question.” He said cocking his head back, indicating the baby in the bassinet.
“Oh, bring the baby here please.” Lily requested.
Scott picked up the tiny little bundle, she fit almost completely in one hand. Cradling her neck carefully, he gently laid her down on her mother’s chest. Lily looked down on her daughter for the first time. She was so beautiful, she brought tears to Lily’s eyes. “What’s wrong Lily?” Scott asked.
“Nothing’s wrong, Scott, I just didn’t know how much I would love her the first time I looked at her. It is overwhelming to me just how much I do.” Lily said.
“It’s really hard not to love that beautiful little girl. Almost as hard as it is to not love her momma,” Scott said.
Startled at Scott’s confession Lily looked up at him, “What do you mean?” She asked as Scott got down on one knee.
Clearing his throat, willing the dryness away, “What I mean, Lily, is that I love you, and this little one, so very much, I can’t stand the thought of not being there for you both.” He looked up into her eyes, and continued, “I know we haven’t really dated, but I have known you all these months, and I fell in love with you two before I knew what was happening. I’ll understand if you don’t feel the same way, but I have to ask, with her permission I might add,” he said looking at the baby who was now wide awake and smiling and cooing. “Lily, would you do me the greatest honor and let me be your husband and little missy's daddy?”
Tears were coming down Lily’s cheeks, how could she say no, she too, had felt the love stirring in her heart, even as she fought against it thinking it was too soon to have feelings for another man. She realized now, that she really hadn’t had feelings for Lucien in the last year of their marriage, and Scott made her happy and took care of her, and she loved that crooked little smile of his. She saw Scott was shaking, anxious for her answer, “Of course I will, Scott. I love you too.” And with that, Scott slipped the ring on her finger, and kissed her for the first time.

Comments

Popular Posts