The Trouble With Lily pt 6


Lily looked up at him and smiled, “Everything alright?”
Scott’s mouth had gone dry, he just nodded and set the tray down. He worked his mouth to try and stir up some saliva to get his mouth working again. “I, uh, wasn’t sure how you, uh, take your tea, uh, so I brought out a little of everything,” he said as he gestured to the tray full of honey, sugar, milk, creamer and cookies.
“Oh, thank you, I just take a little honey in mine.”
Scott poured a teaspoon of honey in her mug and stirred it before handing it to Lily. “I’m sorry I don’t have anything smaller for you to wear, but it’s just me and Rascal here.”
“Oh, no, this is more than fine. I made it work.” She said as her phone rang. Thinking it might be Franklin, she grabbed it. When she saw who the caller was, she sent it straight to voicemail with a sigh of frustration.
“Everything alright?” Scott asked.
“Yes,” Lily started to respond, “actually, no it’s not. I’ve had the most terrible night. Unfortunately, it’s Marble who led me to it when I chased her down an alley.”
Scott looked concerned, “does this have anything to do with the Lucien guy you mentioned to Franklin on the phone and his little ‘slut’?”
Lily looked mortified, “oh! You heard that? I’m so embarrassed,” as she put her hands in her face to hide her shame.
“Please don’t be,” Scott replied as he put a comforting hand on her shoulder, “you’re not alone in the world of cheating partners, in fact you’re looking at someone who got a dog to get over his cheating spouse.” He looked over at Rascal and Marble sleeping on the rug in front of the fire. “Rascal over there, finally got me out of my funk. I caught my wife with her boss in our bed. That was two years ago. I blamed myself for working so much and never being home for her. I was always too tired. Right before I got Rascal, I found out she and him had a baby together. It gutted me. But then Rascal came into my life, and I found a new perspective.”

Comments

Popular Posts