The Trouble With Lily pt 3


For now, though, she wasn’t sure where to go. She was rather stuck in her current predicament. Then she heard a mewling and her bag started moving. The kitten! She thought. Poor thing must be frightened, cold, and hungry. She started walking with a purpose now. She had to find somewhere for her and the kitten to get out of the cold. She was in a more residential area though, and what she needed was a hotel, or a cafe. She wished she had paid attention to where she had been walking, she thought as she glanced at her watch. Nearly 10 in the evening, she’d been walking for nearly two hours, no wonder she was cold, and lost.
As Lily turned the next corner, she noticed a man ahead struggling with his puppy against the falling snow, trying to get up the street. She ran up to him to help with his pup. “Can I help you sir,” she asked?
He looked up at Lily with the most striking blue eyes she had ever seen, and he gave her this sweet lopsided grin as he responded, “I’d appreciate that, little Rascal here had to go potty and took off on me once we stepped outside. His first snow, he got a little excited. I have been chasing him for a while and finally caught up to him. If you could hang on to him while I got my keys out that would be a relief.”
Lily picked up the squirming puppy and said, “No problem. I totally get where you’re coming from, I chased a kitten earlier who was out in the cold. That’s actually how I ended up here, and now I am no where near home and there’s a storm coming.” Lily told him.
“Well, ma’am, you’re welcome to wait it out in the house with me and Rascal here, if you’d like?” He responded, as he opened the door and turned on the lights to his home. “The name’s Scott and yours is…”
“Oh! My apologies, I’m Lily,” she responded as she walked in behind him, still holding a wriggling Rascal in her arms, waiting for Scott to close the front door.
“Pleasure to meet you Lily,” Scott said as he shut the door and took Rascal from her arms and set him down. Scott noticed her formal speech pattern, and her nice winter coat. This lady is really lost he thought as his gaze landed on her leather gloves and her obviously expensive bag. “Please make yourself at home here. Would you like to call someone and let them know where you are?” He queried.
“Thanks, if I could get your address and number to give to my doorman, that would be wonderful.” She said.
Scott wrote it all down for her on the little pad of paper on the hall table. Then he showed her to the phone and said, “I’ll be right back down with something warmer for you to wear so you can take that coat off and hang it on the hook here.”
“Thank you so much for your hospitality,” Lily responded as she pulled her phone from her purse and called Franklin. When Franklin answered, he had told her that Lucien had come home and tried to go upstairs despite her orders. Franklin apologized to her for decking her husband, but he was belligerent and demanding to see his wife.

Comments

Popular Posts